Sunday, October 04, 2015

edX Denial 101x Course: Making Sense of Climate Science Denial

edX Denial 101x Course: Making Sense of Climate Science Denial


This appears to be my first blog post in more than two years? What explains the delay? Well, I and my thoughts have been elsewhere such as posting to Linkedin and building new contacts there. The intervening years saw a massive reduction in my reading library. The cull amounted to about 80% of my accumulated texts. While Bluefirereader offers some portability, I still seek time for reading texts. Generation Y may not agree, and often appear to have little time for reading books. Does that explain the rise in popularity of inarticulate Minions?

Well, some one has to read books, otherwise a majority of news might be fed through sites like Facebook. Then where would reliable source online media sharing be - awash in a sea of bullshit with fewer and fewer operating shit detectors? Oops, maybe that is the case. This explains my affinity for provocative news on the topics of climate change, alternative energy technologies, new materials research and habitat enrichment. This last topic has been the focus of many physical efforts in the last few months since July. 

My current project between writing, teaching or any other form of contracts has been forest hugelkultur. What are hugelbeets? Mound and pit constructions using windblown and rotting wood piles, tree trunks, soil and horse manure. The strongest influencers on this task itself have been readings on the topic courtesy of Robert Hart, Sepp Holtzer, the FAO or Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN - all inspire as 2015 is their Year of Soils. Alan Savory says a farmer's first chore is to build soil. 

So a summer soil building exercise has been enriched. Yet the heat has been an odd, climate change addled set of weather systems on The Bay of Fundy since July. The ocean is obviously delivering elevated heat to the region and earth nullschool confirms far above average coastal temperatures. The result has been that a pattern of typically cooler, less humid bayside temperatures compared to the Annapolis Valley were often reversed. Would this explain the seeming increase in fallen large hemlock on my woodlot? 

As October is cooling, I am finally starting on The University of Queensland's Global Change Institute's  edX Denial 101x: Making Sense of Climate Science Denial led by John Cook. If you are as I am, seeking opportunities to impact your own consciousness to make peace with what appears to be near term human extinction, then this is probably the course you should be taking too. I think it may be more positively adaptive to try to do that than to deny the distinct possibility. 

My next series of blog posts will be my reflections on these topics. I'm not sure many Canadians are really doing that yet?

No comments: