Friday, October 16, 2009

The Korea Herald: Investing in Korea needs nerves of steel

Investing in Korea needs nerves of steel
Rob York The Korea Herald October 16, 2009

Costello, currently working as a university lecturer in Pocheon, Gyeonggi Province, prefers mutual funds to stocks because funds do not require the daily attention that stocks do, he said.

In particular, he likes investing in the BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India and China) economies, because some of the best global investment funds are found in these rapidly-growing nations. However, even they haven't been immune to the calamities of the financial crisis.

"The last year has been terrible," he said, as he lost up to 30 percent on his investments. Now, however, most of his investments are nearly back to pre-crisis levels, and Costello still sees reason to believe that further investments will pay off.

"I wish I had started investing when I was in my early 20s," said Costello, who was in his mid-20s when he began. "I'm really concerned about my own retirement, so that's what I'm preparing for," he said.

"You're training yourself to put aside part of your monthly income. The closer you are to retirement the more important it is to have a nest egg."

Read the full article here.

No comments: